Tragedy struck my house about three weeks ago. Well a tragedy in the knitting world anyway! I had gone away for knit camp, where I was away from my home for five days. After I walking back through my door, I quickly dropped all of my knitting items and took my dogs outside to wear them out from being locked up all day. The next morning I discover that I had not dropped my knitting in a safe place…. Apparently one of my dogs was rather upset with me for being gone for five days, and took out her displeasure on my knitting. The damage I discovered is pictured above. I knew I had to at least try to save it.
A couple of things ended up being in my favor:
- The section that she attacked was done in a simple linen stitch and not complicated lace.
- This section also used yarn that I had dyed myself. While I didn’t have any left of that exact batch, I had about 60 yards left, undyed, from the cone that I had wound off of. Sometimes those little left over bits come in handy! I dyed it up the colorway used for the shawl… but it came out darker than the original. I was determined though, to save this shawl!
I had to stabilize the stitches before doing any repair work, to ensure that no more unraveling would occur. I did this by weaving in some waste yarn, inserting the needle through the left leg of the stitch, two to three rows above and around the hole.
I created a small patch in linen stitch to cover the whole. Using the bottom-most whole stitches as my first row of live stitches, I worked the stitch pattern flat. I did secure the first row of the pattern patch by knitting the right leg of the stitch closest to the hole together with the first stitch of the patch. I repeated this once I got to the end of the patch, by knitting the last stitch of the patch with the left leg of the stitch closest to the edge of the patch. Make sure to do this with whole and secure stitches.
Now to see how the patched area looks from the front….
Not too bad! It’s not super noticeable and much better than frogging the whole shawl.
I hope my patchwork helps you out, if you find yourself in the same sad tragedy or something similar. Now the edging… I think that will require some short rows, so I’ll return with part 2 on fixing that area. I highly recommend to visit this site https://afulltable.com/, you will need some tools to fix this!